- First-Year Council is a great leadership experience. It’s an opportunity to become well acquainted with SGA, while also developing communication and interpersonal skills with fellow students and University administrators.
- Members will have the chance to interact and network with both upperclassmen and administrators through guest speakers and Student Government mentors.
- Members will obtain early insight into of the operations and duties of Student Government at the University of Tennessee.
- FYC is a great way to make friends and connect with older students in SGA as well. By working and collaborating with other branches, as well as the Council itself, friendships are easily made.
- Members have the opportunity to positively impact not only their class of first-year students, but also the student body for years to come!
“First-Year Council was a great way for me to learn the legislative process, get my feet wet in Student Government, and meet other students that want to make an impact at the University of Tennessee.”
-Joe Saldutti, 2014-15 FYC Member
“First-Year Council was an experience that gave me the chance to connect and get involved with SGA and to advocate for other New Vols over the course of this year.”
-Tristan Smith, 2014-15 FYC Chair
“My experience on First-Year Council helped open my eyes to all that’s going on around campus, from the many facets of student involvement available, to hands-on experience with current students who are already working towards making a difference on this campus…It was overall an incredible learning experience for me.”-Emily Dickey, 2014-15 FYC Member
“As an out-of-state student, I couldn’t have had a more welcoming and exciting experience as a member of First-Year Council. Through legislation and events, our branch worked to make campus a better place.” -Joe Chirico, 2014-2015 FYC Member
The First-Year Council is selected and advised by the SGA Vice President and the FYC Student Advisor. For any questions in regards to FYC, please email Vice-President Madison Kahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.